It’s been a long road since I last posted on here. I was so scared the last time – not knowing what our future held. We had known for several years that Jim’s myelofibrosis would result in his need for a transplant, but I don’t think we were fully prepared for what it involved – add in a worldwide pandemic and we had a pretty intense few months. While Jim was in the hospital I stayed at the Garbriel House of Care where he joined me after about a month of being in-patient. We are beyond thankful for Jim’s amazing transplant team they did their best to make everything as easy on him as possible. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL was even better than we had hoped it would be, there isn’t a person in that entire facility that doesn’t go the extra mile for the patients. We are forever grateful for everyone there and at the Gabriel House.
Our experience with his transplant and recovery has been a bit different than expected because of the Covid-19 pandemic. We had been looking forward to visiting with friends and family during those long months, instead both the hospital and Gabriel House had to close to visitors – we were just grateful that the house stayed open and we were able to continue to stay as we navigated the multitude of labs, appointments and tests Jim had throughout our time in Jacksonville. Even without visitors, Jim was recovering well and we started counting the days until we could return home. In the end we were gone over three months – 107 days away from home, family and friends.
There is still more healing to happen as his body rebuilds itself, but he is now stable enough to heal at home. We got here about a week ago (check out what 100% pure happiness looks like in the pic. of Jim in the hammock – he couldn’t wait to sit out on the lanai and enjoy his hammock and the fresh air!). Jim had to return to the hospital last Wednesday for anther surgery, and he’s starting to feel better from that and we are now ready to RE-OPEN!!!! At least online.
Due to the severity of a bone-marrow transplant and Jim still taking immunosuppressants, it is going to take some time before we can be out and about – including markets. Jim’s transplant team will be the ones deciding when it is safe for either of us to go out vend at markets again. We are both disappointed – we love our Saturday markets – but we need to listen to his doctors at Mayo. They will let us know when it’s safe for us to re-join the world again!
Thank you all for your support – your words of encouragement and kind thoughts during this process have meant the world to both of us. We couldn’t have made it through these last few months without a great support system, and you are a part of that support – so thank you <3
For the rest of the month of June:
EVERYTHING on our website is 35% off and, as always, FREE SHIPPING on orders over $25!